Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

CTA Bus (Recording: Part 6)

CTA Bus at Stop
(Click Play)>>> <<<(Click Play)

Why This Sound?

Since this is a blog about Chicago and how I hear it, I felt that I had to include a recording of a CTA bus. If you live in or have spent a significant period of time in Chicago, then I'm sure you have heard the buses stopping to let passengers on and off VERY often! With this recording I wanted to capture the sound as if I was waiting for the bus. For that reason I like how it turned out. You can hear the bus approaching the stop, the brakes screeching as it stops, the doors swinging open, the automated voice announcing the bus number and route, and even a lady yelling as she runs to catch the bus before it leaves. I haven't quite decided which part(s) I want to cut and use in my final project though because I like the recording as a whole.

Recording Location

I took this recording at a bus-stop near Oz Park. Where the X is on the map below is the bus #74 stop on Webster Avenue, and that is the specific location of this recording.

Technique

The technique I used for this particular recording was more in the idea than the actual recording process. As I said earlier, my plan was to make the recording sound as if I was waiting for a bus at the stop. So that's exactly what I did! I clipped the small condenser microphone to my jacket and pointed it forward. Then I waited... When the bus finally came, the microphone picked up its sounds very close to the way my ears would. Recording specific noises can end up being a waiting game, but, like this one, it pays off in the end!

3 comments:

  1. Great that you caught the bus announcement! Your introduction works to both personalize the post and tie it to your larger project.

    Consider using a bulleted list where a series goes beyond two items--as in "You can hear the bus approaching the stop, the brakes screeching as it stops, the doors swinging open, the automated voice announcing the bus number and route, and even a lady yelling as she runs to catch the bus before it leaves." That'll serve to chunk your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you definitely caught a great recording that will give you nice samples for your final. your tone seems conversational, which i think would benefit from condensing your writing. nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a fantastic choice of recording. Chicago would not be Chicago to me without the constant.. "binnngg bonggg.. doors closing.." and the other fabulous CTA sounds.
    Nice job including something so Chicago-centric.

    ReplyDelete