Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thunderstorm (Recording: Part #5)

Thunderstorm Over Chicago
(CLICK TO PLAY AUDIO)

Why This Sound?:
With the final product of this personal project in mind, I decided I needed a definitive ambient sound. What's better than a clap of thunder? Although the prior recordings of mine qualify as ambient sounds, this is one that really stands out. The rain sounds alright, but the thunder is what I intend to cut and put in the final project. I haven't decided exactly how I will utilize the sound. Maybe as an introduction? Maybe loop it in the background? I can't say for sure yet. However, I can say that I am happy to have gotten an "ok" recording of thunder reverberating through the city. This is a sound that you will most definitely notice in my final production!

Recording Location:
This recording was taken while walking home from my girlfriend's work. She works near Armitage and Halsted, so about a 5 minute walk from my apartment.

Technique:
When field recording in the rain, keeping the equipment dry is a  MUST! Since this recording was taken while walking in the rain, I had to be very cautious about how I went about it. This would have been a much more daunting task if I was using quality equipment rather than a little voice-recorder. What I did was run the wire for the external microphone through my jacket and then I clipped the microphone (facing forward) to my collar which was covered from the rain by the hood of my jacket. I left the recorder in my pocket and clicked record as I started to walk. I was lucky enough to get a pretty good recording of the thunder!

2 comments:

  1. 1) Powerful sound, and great that you were able to catch it...

    2) You seem to switch audiences between the two "sections" of this post. The first seems aimed at your class. The second seems more generic. Keep that in mind the next time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed with the recording, I otherwise wouldn't have expected a storm to record that well.

    I feel like there's a certain adventure in chasing sounds, hunting them, and otherwise stumbling onto them that's missing. It's like your just posting "This is just me recording a THUNDERSTORM. Whatever."

    ReplyDelete