Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chicago- Recording #3


^^^CLICK PLAY^^^
Where did I record this?
This week's recording was done at North Avenue Beach. I was actually sitting on the pier that is pictured in the image above.  

What audio does this recording consist of?
This recording is made up of typical lake noise. We can hear the bubbling/gurgling sound of the water. Also, the sound of the tide hitting the walls of the pier. We can also make out the slight howl of the wind that travels over the lake's waters.

What makes this "Chicago" to me?
What makes this piece of audio one that defines Chicago, in my opinion at least, is the fact that we can tell by listening that it is a large body of water. The sound of waves hitting the beach is something that you don't hear in the midwest. Even though Lake Michigan has waves of a minature stature, the sound that they produce is still one that is rarely found in this area. If anyone is to come to Chicago, the lake is something that they will most definitely want to experience. Lake Michigan is without a doubt one of the things that defines the city of Chicago


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are keeping after this; however, we should still address two issues: 1) purpose and 2) template. Please get in touch with me to discuss both of these. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The audio matched with a photo taken by you is a nice touch. Makes the project authentic. However...

    I'm curious about the intent and audience. I understand that I am taking in the sounds of Chicago. You describe them to me. But what exactly, other than for class, warrants a read? I'm not trying to be too critical because I love this idea of mixed media and even the concept here of the Sounds of Chicago, but it seems to be a series of parts not yet working in harmony.

    Avoid the "to me", stay strong in your question and simply explain the relation to Chicago. Passive writing will undermine your authority as the authority on your subject, which you should be.

    They say in films a sign of a good script is by avoiding repeating information the audience is already privy to. A similar principal could be applied here. I can hear the birds and the sea, tell me something less obvious. Something only you, as the author, can tell me. This can be a great project, it just needs some fine tuning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like how in this post you included a picture of the location along with the sound so it gives you a better idea of what you're listening to.

    However, I'm going to echo what Jeff and Roarke said.. I am still a little lost by the reason behind this blog. In journalism, our professors ask us a standard group of questions when we are pitching a story to help narrow down our focus:
    -Why now?
    -Why do I care?
    -Who is my audience?
    Maybe answering these questions will help bring your focus to light. Specifically the 'Why Do I care?' element is not obvious to me. Why would a reader specifically seek out your blog and read it compared to other blogs about Chicago?
    I think you have a great topic and great posts, but I'm still unsure about why I would be reading it.

    I really do like your concept though! I can't wait to hear the finished product.

    ReplyDelete